24 June 2011

queen of half way

I'm quickly realizing the importance of completing a project before moving on to another [I'm never going to get anything done!]. Everything around the house has been at a bit of a standstill lately, but I hope to get back to work soon! I have plenty to finish before I move onto larger projects!

It all started when the left cabinet wouldn't latch correctly. I tried repositioning the hinges... When that didn't work, I took the latches off, sanded the layers of paint surrounding the latches, patched holes and then finally repositioned the latches. Another issue was that the bottom right side of the left door was catching on the metal edging. I ended up taking the edging off, thinking that I would prime the existing material and paint it. Well... that didn't happen... I figured I could make it look better than that- I just haven't figured out what to do with it yet. I'm open to suggestions!


before

current

I don't really have a good excuse for this one [the wainscoting] other than I don't have a vehicle to haul material and I haven't decided how I want to detail it. I've become more and more indecisive... I don't like doing things twice... I fear that I'll do it and not like it and not be completely satisfied until I redo it.


And while we're in the kitchen- I really don't like the green! I love green, don't get me wrong, but when I changed the light bulbs from incandescent to CFL's, the color completely changed. Thankfully it didn't take me long to do or much money. I'm thinking this will be a good rainy day/too hot to go outside project.

It's hard to tell in this image, but I think I'm going to go with the bottom shade of green- it's more earthy. I've had such a time with choosing paint color!! You would think that someone that works with color for a living would be better with this, but nope! Not me!!


The spare bedroom is getting there... I finally got the photo I took in Leadville, CO printed. It's actually a collaboration piece between my dad and me. I love it! It has the feel and tone of many of Andrew Wyeth's paintings, one of my dad's most admired artists and one that I enjoy as well. 

See the down comforter sitting on the bed? Well, I have been meaning to make a duvet cover for it for oh, probably a month or two now...


I even have it pinned together! It's just a matter of borrowing a friend's sewing machine and running a few straight lines!


I still need to finish painting the ceiling in the spare bedroom too. I don't like painting ceilings... but then again, I don't know who does. 

I've started exploring paint colors for the bathroom too! Originally, I wanted it to be all white- trim and everything, but now I think I want a little color it there.

I'm thinking more of a warm grey [I'm obsessed with everything grey] to pull out some of the lighter warm tones of the tile. Once again, the color isn't quite  accurate, but as of tonight, I'm going to go with the second one down with white trim. Typically, I would never paint wood, however, the bathroom was redone more recently and the wood doesn't match the original, so it's going white.



Moving outside! I want it all done at once! This bed is a work in progress consisting primarily of transplants.


The front bed is getting there [with a shaved Bella!]! Until you walk around the side of the house. I remedied it this evening though- edging, weeding,  and mulching! Next, I want to till up the south side of the house [which doesn't have any sort of landscaping/flowers right now] and transplant day lilies that are taking over the back yard.



I have several other projects on the list, but I'm thinking it would be good to finish what I've started!

xoxo

a

2 comments:

  1. Hey Andrea! This is Diana Trushell, long time no talk! Anway, just wanted to let you know I've checked out the progress you've made on your new (old) house and it looks fantastic! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana! I can't wait to get to the bigger projects!

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day!